Colleen DeBaise is The Wall Street Journal’s small business editor, an integrated position for the print Journal and online Journal, and her responsibilities include overseeing small business coverage and the development of new features that appeal to ent
Her book, The Wall Street Journal Complete Small Business Guidebook, was published December 2009. Before joining the Journal, Ms. DeBaise was deputy editor of BusinessWeek SmallBiz and has also been editor at SmartMoney’s small business Web site.
Ms. DeBaise began her career in financial journalism in 1998 at Dow Jones Newswires, where she spent seven years as a personal finance columnist and also lead court reporter. She has been interviewed on CNBC, MSNBC, and Fox Business News. DeBaise is a 2005 winner of the Newswomen’s Club of New York’s Front Page award for specialized writing.
• How to write a winning business plan
• Secrets to finding extra money during the lean years and beyond
• Ways to keep your stress in check while maintaining a work/life balance
• How to manage your time, including taking vacations and dealing with sick days
• Strategies for keeping your business running smoothly—from investing in technology to hiring the right people
• Marketing and management basics
• When angel investors or venture capital might be an appropriate way to grow
• How to execute your exit strategy